Wednesday 6 January 2016

Favorites of 2015

On Goodreads I set myself the challenge to read 45 books in 2015 and I ended up reading 68 books, which I'm super happy with! Today I'm sharing my favorite 10 books I read throughout the year.

Saga, Volume 11. Saga Comics by Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples
I read the first volume of Saga and I was immediately hooked! This sci-fi series has beautiful artwork, great characters and really made me want to read more comics! I read the next three volumes and love them all just as much as the first one, or maybe even more. I can't wait to read volume five!

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)2. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
10338850I already loved the world Tolkien created in The Hobbit, but in the Fellowship of the Ring the world is so much more fleshed out. It truely feels like it is a real place and I can really imagine things happening before and after the story that is described in this book. I think Tolkien's world is truely fascinating!

3. The Lily Pond by Annika Thor
This historical middle grade book was a reread from when I was younger. I usually don't read a lot of books about the second world war because I have a hard time connecting to the story, but Thor manages to describe life during that time very well, while still making the main character relatable.

Tales from Outer Suburbia4. Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan
In 2014 I read The Arrival by Shaun Tan and immediately fell in love with his artwork. Though it is still my favorite book of him, Tales from Outer Suburbia again shows how creative Tan is. The stories are all very inventive and the artwork is amazing.

Wild Magic5. Wild Magic by Cat Weatherill
North and SouthI don't generally read a lot of fairy tale retellings, but this was one I absolutely loved! The story revolves around the legend of the Pied Piper. Eventhough there are a familiar elements to the story I loved how Weatherill used the story to create her own.

6. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
The Book of EverythingWhen I first started this book I felt like it was very serious, but as I read on I absolutely grew to love this book. There where just so many beautiful descriptions! A lot of times I reread a passage because the writing was so beautiful...

7. The Book of Everything by Guus Kuijer
The Rithmatist (The Rithmatist #1)This book was also a childhood reread. While I enjoyed it when I read it as a kid, I think I love it even more now that I am older. There are a lot of subtle details that I did not even realise where there when I was younger. Kuijer creates a very likeable main character and his story deals with faith in a beautiful way.

Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)8. The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson
It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did I loved the unique fantasy world that Sanderson created. The book also contained a mystery and I am a huge fan of fantasy combined with mystery. I can't wait to read the sequel!

Into the Wild9. Amulet Volume 1: The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi
This middle grade graphic novel was a really good introduction to the series. It is adventurous and full of fantastical elements and the main characters Emily and Navin are wonderful. The artwork is very different from other graphic novels I have read, but I loved it!

10. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
This is one of the very few non fiction books I read in 2015. The story of Chris McCandless is a tragic but fascinating one. Eversince seeing the movie I have been curious to know more about his life. The book definitely goes into a lot more dept than the movie does. Whereas the movie portraits his parents a little bit as 'the bad guys' the book is much more nuanced. Krakauer really tried to look at the story from all points of view.


Dit you manage to reach your reading goal for 2015? What was your favorite book you read?

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these! North and South sounds like the kind of book I would enjoy quite a lot, and I have seen so many people loving the Saga series that I can't wait to try them out for myself as well. Hopefully I can get to a few of these this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Saga is amazing! Hope you enjoy it as well :)

      Delete
  2. You like graphic novels!? I like graphic novels! :D I just added Saga, Vol. 1 to my wishlist over at Amazon. Have you by chance heard of Attack on Titan? It's a phenomenal anime series, do you like anime though?

    I also added Amulet, gosh, thanks for sharing these! These are seriously the type of books I love reading <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fairly new to graphic novels, but from all the comics that I read so far Saga is definitely my favorite series! I haven't read any manga but Attack on Titan looks really good and gets some great reviews, thanks for mentioning it, I'm adding it to my TBR!

      Delete